Monday, January 26, 2009

Just thought I would blog

I woke up this morning before my dear, sweet husband was up, before the kids, before well most.  After a very short and much interrupted night of sleeping, I poured my first cup of coffee, and went to wait at Austin's school fro registration to begin.  I just thought I should write about this, this moment that I can look back on in the future and either 

a. Thank God I had done all within my power to provide the absolute best education for my kids as Austin takes the stage as valedictorian of his graduating class

b. Tell him that just because I won't let him go to the bonfire this weekend with all the other kids, doesn't mean I don't love him, it means I do  love him and that I'll do things like wait in a dark parking lot before the sun rises to be sure he gets into a good pre-K.  

c. Be thankful in 15 years, when filling out the dozen or so college applications, that I had so, so much practice doing this when I was enrolling him for pre-k

or 

d.  all of the above

Did this all just really happen?  I mean you hear of parents looking into great schools before the children are even conceived, but really, seriously, why is it so consuming?  My take is this, from the moment that precious tiny heartbeat shows up on the sonogram monitor, you feel so overwhelmingly empowered to do great things with this little life you have been blessed with.  You want the best things; clothes, organic food, creative outlets, exposure to arts, sciences, language arts, books, love, oh so much love.  You strive to provide never a dull moment, a safe home, a warm bed, nourishing food, and a well balanced family life.  You become a creator of magic, a provider of wonder and curiosity.  He or she is your masterpiece, your greatest accomplishment.  Every moment of your existence is occupied by this little life. And then at the age of 2, 3 or 4, when you decide to place that tiny little heartbeat in an environment outside of your own control, you want to be sure it is able to uphold every effort you have made during this little person's life.   

Austin has been in school since he was 2.  This will end at some point, I hope.  My dear friend Mary once told me that the day she truly realized what worry was all about was the day she left the hospital with her first born.  Yes, I do agree and now realize that my friend.  

No comments: