Thursday, February 24, 2011

Amenities

There's a lot of stuff to do to keep you busy here. A lot of people are here for a year at a time, so there's a constant challenge to stay busy and occupied. Here's a few of the amenities.

This circus tent looking thing is called Memorial Plaza. They show movies here on a giant screen and you can probably see all the tables and chairs sitting out for people to sit around and gab. It's more or less right in the middle of the base and is surrounded by a bunch of other things. The gym, the library, and "The Fox" which I have a picture of below. While Memorial Plaza is its official name, most people just simply call it "The Bra." Any guesses as to why?

This is a look heading from my dorm towards the bra. The buildings on the right are one of the base exchanges.

I have not partaken of the Subway or the Burger King. They're both things I try to avoid while in the states so I'll continue to avoid them here. In this row there's also a Dunkin and a Baskin Robbins.

All of those facilities are in what is called the Coalition Compound or just "CC". On the other side of base, in the BPC (I forgot what it stands for) there are more up to date, modern buildings. Inside one of the facilities is this Starbucks. There's never a line here, despite the fact that it's Starbucks. Unlike most of the other vendors, they increase their prices significantly.
I may have mentioned that we get our "3 beers." This is one of the places where we can come to get our 3 beers. In fact, it's 3 drinks of alcohol which includes beer, wine and 2oz shots of liquor. While the building was here, Fox Sports donated the interior and it is referred to as The Fox. They've got wi-fi, and there's always sports playing.

My friend Chris, having his 3 drinks....all at once.

I have yet to have all 3 beers I am allowed. I'm trying to make something good from this deployment by working out and losing a few pounds...so I don't drink very much.

No comments: