Monday, February 28, 2011

The imperfect little lives we lead

One of my favorite images, quite possibly ever, of my brother. She just loves her Bobe.

She is a real wild one... and I LOVE it.


Austin with his favorite buddy Dylan taking a break from playing soccer.


As I waited to collect Austin at dismissal one day last week, I was chatting with a few other moms. They asked how we were holding up without Chris around, and I replied with the usual, "Oh we're fine. We miss him, but we keep in touch via Skype and the stories on the blog."

One of the moms replied with, "You have a blog! I want to read your blog. Send me the link." So I told her that I would have to send her an invitation and that I was pretty sure we were at our max 100 guests, but that I would add her if a spot came available... and this is what she said.

"I just have to read your blog. I love reading blogs because all you see and all you read on family blogs is how wonderful life is. When I read them all I can think about is how I know their lives are not THAT perfect!"

Well... she's right to a degree, but do I really want to share my personal family blog with a person who judges me for the perfect memories I would like to savor in my own little imperfect world? It's been a few days since I last blogged. I was on a role there for a while, wasn't I? Well I have house work to take care of, bills to pay, baskets of clothes to fold and put away, floors to mop, mouths to feed, bodies to wash, and little people who need to be read to played with tickled and yes disciplined. I have papers to write, assignments to fulfill, books that must be read from cover-to-cover and images to be taken, edited, submitted and yes, sometimes re-submitted. The only pieces of perfection that exists in this little life of ours are those two beautiful babies who lay sound asleep as I write this. And even though at times it may seem to others who we invite into our lives that we put on an air of flawlessness, we are far from being perfect.

Mom of the really cute little girl in Austin's class, we are doing okay without Chris, but there's not a single day that passes that I do not wish he were here. We each have our moments, mine lasted for a particularly long time today, of tears and wishes, but it passes because we know how to see the silver lining in this all. We know how to make an ordinary day, magic.

Enjoy the images. Hope to hear from each one of you soon.

:: Liz ::

5 comments:

Bethalow said...

Oh how I love you, sweet Liz. Wrapping my arms around you and loving you from afar. ((((mmmmhhhmmm)))) ...that was a super strong and big hug.

Chris said...

Great post babe. Love the pictures. It's 3:45am on the east coast right now and I can only hope that you're finally getting some sleep. Will try to call you guys tonight (my time) or after wake up (your time).

Love you

Vera said...

You come from strong northern Maine roots Liz. And traveling while growing up helps you to grow strong and cope with whatever comes your way. As a Mom always living away from family members while the girls were young , having a child with special needs and having a husband away 5 days a week, I kind of know how life is for you. But you don't get the weekends with your hubby, and he is so far away, so only you know what that is like and we can only imagine. These harder moments in life do make us appreciate the easier moments and each day is what we make it. We can choose to have a very bad day or we can just try the best we can to make every moment count, and still have out sad moments, because if we didn't have sad moments, then do we really have LOVE? Wish I was closer to help. Chris, please stay safe. Time really does go by quickly, especially on the good days. Love you all!

Katie said...

Well, this made me cry. Goodness. What a wonderful blog, Liz and Chris. I feel so honored to have been welcomed in. Wishing the very best for both of you.

Katie

CLBinBKLYN said...

More posts please!